How to Use a Drip Filter or Percolator
This is one of the most popular methods used. The unit is divided into two sections, a filter chamber for the ground coffee and the coffee jug.
- Place the appropriate filter in the coffee chamber. (As per your equipment instructions).
- Add the appropriate amount of ground coffee. This will vary depending on the size of your machine. (See your equipment guidelines).
- Make sure the coffee is evenly spread on the filter so that all the coffee is saturated at the same time ensuring an even extraction.
- Add the desired amount of water into the coffee brewer water container.
- The brew drips down by gravity into the pouring pot below. Contact time is usually 4-6 minutes.
- Stir before serving.
- Ensure you remove the used filter and leave machine clean for next brew.
- A common mistake made in using the drip or filter method is leaving the brewed coffee on the warming plate. Once coffee is brewed it should be poured immediately. Brewed coffee left on a burner will burn or “cook” causing over extraction resulting in a bitter tasting coffee.